Tuesday, August 23, 2011

If You Only Knew!

There are so many things you find yourself wishing others knew. To the student today sticking his pencil between two dice and moving it back and forth...it look like a male appendage. To the student wearing the K-state shit( I mean shirt)...it will get you nothing but a closet full of horrid purple clothes and a lot of enemies. To the student writing all of their numbers backwards... someday that will count against you, but for now it is okay. To the student who asked me how to spell lasagna...I wanted you to give it your best shot without too much of my help because sometimes that word still confuses me. In fact when I am writing and can't look up a word I choose one I can spell that means the same thing (like most of America!). Then there are the things that beg knowledge from you on a different level. If the student today only knew how sorry I am that both of his parents are in jail and that he and his three siblings have to live with their grandparents until his "providers" are released. I am sure that you are just exhausted and that effects why you don't finish all your work...we will make it together. To the student with cystic fibrosis...you are AMAZING and every time that I look at you I find myself saying a silent prayer that they will find a cure for you. You are only in second grade and deserve a long and healthy life. To the student acting out...I see you, you matter, and being better will get you the attention you want and deserve. These are my students for the next eight weeks and while I know the difference we make in each other's lives won't be turned into a novel or a major motion picture I hope we really come to understand one another and they never have the feeling of "If You Only Knew You'd Understand!"

No comments:

Post a Comment