Thursday, September 8, 2011

It Was Such A Good Year!

Until I began student teaching I thought that using the phrase, "It was such a good year!" only pertained to wine or had an age requirement of at least 65 on it. Teach and learn I suppose. Today during reading workshop one of my student proclaims (out of context I might add) "I can't wait till 2009!" It was so hard to look into that joyful and genuinely excited face and not do two things: 1) Laugh and 2) Not totally crush her spirit when I tell her that 2009 has already come and gone so there is nothing to be excited about. After realizing that 2009 has come and gone... keep in mind this was her kindergarten year making me feel positively geriatric... she looks wistfully and says, "But it was such a good year!" I guess I should have known something like this would be my entertainment for today by the Grasshopper break that started off the morning.

Time: 7:40
Suspects: One student Five Grasshoppers
Purpose: Caught and Brought for show and tell
Criminal Act: Container dropped causing a breakout

Fear not citizens of Eudora! The green and creepy bandits were caught and returned to their plastic home (what is it with me and my grasshopper luck. Must be one of those past life things.)

My late afternoon entailed one of my students sucking and licking their hand trying to get their fist in their mouth. I casually stopped to make conversation about it and was told they taste like chicken. Needless to say I declined the offer to find out for myself.

And as a final chuckle that will really resonate with all the Title 9 haters of the World. Two of my boys were talking about sports and it came up that I like to play basketball. One looked up with all the confusion his face could muster and said "There's such a thing as girl's basketball?" I couldn't help but think of all my guy finds and every kitchen joke they have ever told me. Luckily his friend said of course there is. They even have a women's league of the NBA.

Who knew!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment