Monday, September 12, 2011

Santa's List and other names for the Constitution

Friday ended up being monumental in my teaching career. Little did I know that when I slipped on my jeans and Eudora t-shirt that morning that I would be receiving a letter. This letter did not have a stamp, address, and the pony express did not deliver it. I was finishing a note at my desk as my darling second graders came in. One of the girls who I had gotten on to Thursday comes over to my desk places a letter down and quietly walks away. I open the letter to find my first apology note, "I'm sorry that I did not lisin to you, it will never hapin a gana. P.S. I was going to give you a craft I made, but my mom told me to writ a leter instead." (Please don't be concerned as I can spell for the most part. That was her letter word for word." It brought a smile to my face while almost making me feel like a discipline monster. I will say it is nice to get that kind of gratification that high school and college professor generally won't receive so immediately.

For those of you in the real world not celebrating every holiday America has to offer: First off you are getting screwed. Secondly this Saturday is Constitution Day (Fun Fact Alert: The Constitution was ratified Sept. 17th, 1787). Being that this is kind of important since the Constitution governs our country and all we will be studying it specifically the preamble all week. Before I began my lesson today (in which James Madison spoke to the class...ya he is dead but I have magic teacher connections.) I showed them a replica of the Constitution and asked them for ideas on what they thought it might be. Answers ranged from a list of presidents to a treasure map. However the most creative went to "SANTA'S List." The joy I put on their faces by potentially holding the key to their Christmas Presents was almost criminal, but only because I eventually had to tell them what it really was. Maybe I should have comforted them by telling them there is a place for evil people and sinners like me.... Chuck "E" Cheese with no tokens!

No comments:

Post a Comment